In the face of gender equality

In the face of gender equality



Gender equality is one topic about which nearly everyone particularly the young generation of ours is obsessed about and rightly so, I mean there is nothing wrong about it. The only thing that left me worried is the extent to which we are really connected to the cause of making a change when the situation arises.

Sure we can go on social networking sites and lash out the posts demanding a lot of changes but the fundamental question which often comes to my mind is are we really connected to the problem and if yes! then to what extent.

I am going to share an anecdote, happened with me few months back while I was interning in Mumbai, which by far is one the safe cities for women in India according to me. So here is what happened. I was going to my office which was in Anushakti Nagar from Mankhurd local railway station and was crossing a bus stop when suddenly I heard a voice of someone crying, it was raining as well so I couldn't make out properly that what it was. As I tried to find what exactly was going on, I got stunned as a short guy was slapping the hell out of a girl of a taller and well built physique. For a moment I lost all of my senses as it was my first time to witness anything of that sort, of course I had read about violence towards women in newspapers and in TVs but to actually see it happening in front of me was terrifying. After a lapse of few moments I decided to act as I couldn't stand the sight of that guy. I tried to find some one else so that I could confront him and decisively stop him from hurting that girl. But much to my expectations, a lot of people standing there were reacting as if nothing unusual was going, it was all crazy for me. And believe that the incident happened during office hours so a lot of people were there, either waiting for the bus or rushing to the office. Having no plan at all I just went up to that guy to tell that "boss! whatever you are doing is just wrong and illegal and I could get you arrested", having said that, the audacious response he gave me was nerve wrecking, he replied "abey! apne kaam se kaam rakh na". I was stunned and frightened. I stepped back and tried to look for some support but no one came. I went up to him again! trying to warn him that if he didn't stop I would go and lodge a complaint in police station which surprisingly was not even 200 m away. This time sensing the threat he advanced and pushed me aside, in all this one thing happened that the girl got the chance to run away and cross the street. Then I decided that its better to report to police than miserably failing at any confrontation alone. So as I was hurrying down the street a lot of images were spiraling my mind and all of a sudden an old guy walk up to me and said that I should not have done anything and it was very immature of me. I was terribly confused and felt that I was just being overly idiotic.

While heading on my way to police station I came across a lady and asked her help, her response was by far the most shocking to me. She said that she is getting late for the office so she could not help. After that I saw a college girl and went to her so that she might help me out. She never even bothered to cross the street and I was aghast by that response. This all was very confusing, I expected that at least women would take initiative but sadly that was not the case. I was disappointed.

Even now I don't know how to respond to the situations like this in future. Nevertheless, I reached the police station and ask them to file an FIR, there response after listening to the entire story was very casual, one of the police man said that it happens everyday and the boy and the girl involved were most probably a couple who might have had a fight. I never expected this side of the story from a police man, however I asked that now that they have a situation they should do something. After taking down my details a patrolling jeep was sent out to look into the matter. Now I don't really know what happened next since I left for my office but all that day even sometimes till this day I just can not figure out if I could have done something better.

That day left me with an awful experience of hypocritical nature of this society particularly those two women, we can rant all day about feminism and shit! but if you don't stand up for the cause when really needed all I can say is "Practice what you preach" 'coz this society is already brimming with faces that will not think twice before making any derogatory remark about any person be it a man or a woman and go out on social media and rant about gender equality.


Comments

  1. you tried your best...most people think that raising voice against such violence could bring them unnecessary trouble....they only realize the importance of raising voice against such unjust activities when their loved ones become victims.....as of terms like 'Women empowerment' and 'Gender equality' look good on paper...but as of today the condition is very poor in reality.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment